Dr. Tomlinson has been involved in Christian higher education for over 30 years—first as a professor and then in recent years as an administrator. Prior to joining the staff of Bethlehem College and Seminary, he was a long-time faculty and staff member at Northwestern College (MN). While there he developed the college’s Center for Distance Education. He also launched the college’s graduate program and was its Dean and director. Dr. Tomlinson began his academic career as a faculty member in the discipline of communication. In 2000, he was presented with the Northwestern College Excellence in Teaching Award.
He has developed and facilitated educational exchange programs between North American institutions of higher learning and institutions in both Europe and South America—including establishing a branch campus in Quito, Ecuador. Dr. Tomlinson has presented papers dealing with Christian communication at conferences around the world and has more recently become an international speaker and consultant to mission and ministry leaders addressing the biblical principles of leadership. He has served as president of the Association of Christian Continuing Education Schools and Seminaries, as chairman of the board of The Bethlehem Institute, on the board of HCJB Global, and as an advisor to several other ministries.
In addition, Dr. Tomlinson has served as an elder at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and has been a member there for 29 years. Over the last 40 years he has been involved in various ministries as a lay leader and teacher. He has led youth groups, taught adult Sunday School classes, and continues to preach and speak at churches and conferences around the world.
- B.A., University of Iowa (Speech and Dramatic Arts)
- M.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison (Communication Arts)
- M.A., Bethel Theological Seminary (Christian Education)
- Ph.D., University of Minnesota (Speech Communication)
- "The Armor of God and the Life of the Christian." BCS Chapel Message. September 4, 2014. Online.
- "The Fear of the Lord." BCS Chapel Message. January 23, 2014. Online.
- "A Snapshot of the Vision of BCS." Cincinnati Event. Online.
- "Heeding the Prophetic Call." BCS Chapel Message. August 29, 2013. Online.
- "Standing Strong in the Face of Change." BCS Chapel Message. May 2, 2013. Online.
- "The Pursuit of Godliness." BCS Chapel Message. August 30, 2012. Online.
- "Marriage and Singleness." BCS Chapel Message. April 7, 2011. Online.
- "Biblical Manhood and Womanhood." BCS Chapel Message. March 31, 2011. Online.