Bethlehem College and Seminary is a confessional institution that embraces the doctrinal beliefs set forth in the Bethlehem College and Seminary Affirmation of Faith. This Affirmation outlines in detail, with Scripture references, what we believe. The following list summarizes our beliefs, but is not a full confession of our doctrinal position. We believe that...
- Scripture is the Word of God written,
- There is one God, existing in three persons,
- God is absolutely sovereign in all areas of reality, and especially in the salvation of men,
- God created the universe and everything in it,
- Man sinned and fell from fellowship with God,
- Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God,
- Jesus Christ’s death on the cross atoned for the sins of those who believe in him,
- God justifies the ungodly by faith alone on the basis of the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ, apart from any works,
- God effectually calls sinners to himself by the Holy Spirit,
- Sanctification in a believer is brought about by God through faith,
- Faith is awakened and sustained by God’s Spirit through His Word and prayer,
- There is one universal church finding expression in the local church,
- Christ commissioned the church to make disciples of all nations,
- There will be a bodily resurrection, and the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ at the end of the age,
- There is everlasting joy for the redeemed and eternal conscious torment for the wicked.
Given the above summary of our beliefs, we further want to place Bethlehem College and Seminary within the spectrum of historic Christian orthodoxy. We joyfully embrace the historic Christian teaching on the Trinity and the Incarnation of Jesus Christ as set forth in the Nicene and Chalcedonian Creeds. We are Reformed in our soteriology, baptistic in our practice, and charismatic in our affections. On matters such as eschatology and the continuance of the miraculous gifts of the Spirit, we allow for a range of perspectives, provided that such positions are held in submission to the inerrant and infallible Word of God. For a fuller statement of our doctrinal beliefs, consult the Bethlehem College and Seminary Affirmation of Faith.